Last revised on April 15, 2013
The Usher Service collects personally identifiable information from you solely to operate the Service as described in the “How We Use Your User Information” section below. We will not sell your personally identifiable information to advertisers or spammers. We will only share the information we collect from you as described in the section below entitled “How We Share Your User Information.”
Information We Collect About You
The Service is a tool that enables individuals who install the Application (“Users”) to (i) aggregate their professional credentials in a single location; (ii) create “Usher Badges” by having such credentials verified by those credentialing organizations that have agreed to participate in the Service (“Participating Organizations”); (iii) allow other Users to confirm such credentials by using the Application, including by scanning the QR code associated with the User’s account or by inputting the characters of the “Usher Code” provided by such User’s account into the Application; (iv) use the Usher Keys feature to open doors or otherwise securely access locations or items associated with an Usher Badge; and (v) authenticate documents they have uploaded to the Service by using their Usher Badges. In order to facilitate these processes, the Service may collect your personal information in the following ways: (i) by collecting certain information from you to establish your Usher account (“Usher Account Information”); (ii) at your option, establishing your Usher account by authorizing the Application to connect to your Facebook account and collect certain of your Facebook account information (“Facebook Information”) and (iii) by collecting from you the usernames and passwords of your accounts with Participating Organizations (“Login Information”) for the purpose of verifying your credentials and (iv) by collecting your location as part of the document authentication and Usher Keys features.
Usher Account Information
If you choose to establish an Usher account without connecting to your Facebook account, the Usher Account Information that will be requested from you will include, without limitation:
- your name
- your email address
- a picture of you
If you choose to create your Usher account by connecting to your Facebook account, the Application will ask you to input your email address and Facebook password. This Facebook login information is collected directly by Facebook as part of the login process and does not pass through our servers.
Once you have inputted your email address and Facebook password, we will collect your basic Facebook account information, including:
- your name
- your email address
- a picture of you
- your gender
- your current city
In addition to the Usher Account Information and Facebook Information, we may collect information about you based upon your use of the Service, including when and where you use the Usher Keys feature, your requests for customer support, your user feedback and other communications you direct to us, how often you log into the Service and what functions of the Service you use the most frequently (collectively the “Usage Information”).
In addition to Facebook Information, we may also collect your Login Information for the websites of Participating Organizations, which we will use to verify your credentials from each applicable Participating Organization.
When you choose to have one of your credentials verified by a Participating Organization, such Participating Organization will make certain information about you visible in the Usher Application for other Users selected by you to view as part of the verification process (“Credentialing Information”). Credentialing Information may include, for example, your job title, email address, employee ID number and office phone number. We may collect the Credentialing Information.
Information We Collect When You Access the Service on a Mobile Device
When you have installed the Application on your mobile telephone or other mobile device, we collect your unique device identifier, IP address and your precise geolocation (including when the Application is not being used) (“Mobile Information” and together with Usher Account Information, Facebook Information, Usage Information, Login Information and Credentialing Information “User Information”).
How We Use Your User Information
The Company will only use your User Information for the following purposes:
- to enable you to use the Service to organize your professional credentials
- to contact Participating Organizations authorized by you in order to confirm your credentials
- to issue reports to your Participating Organizations, which may include reporting on your activity patterns, preferences and geolocation
- to enable you to authenticate documents to other users of the Service
- to enable you to use the Service’s Usher Keys feature
- to authenticate your identity to other users
- to send you emails regarding your use of the Service
- to provide technical support and to respond to your inquiries
- to communicate about new features or promotions of the Company or Service
- to solicit your feedback to improve the Service and your experience using it
- to administer and improve the Service, including by creating test reports on the User Information we collect
- to keep track of your activity patterns, preferences and geolocation in order to improve the level of service you receive from the Service and to provide reporting to Participating Organizations
We will not sell your personally identifiable User Information to advertisers or spammers. You may choose to not receive communications from us about new features or promotions of the Company or Service by opting out of such communications
How We Share Your User Information
We may share your User Information in the following cases:
- With Affiliates and Third-Party Service Providers: We may disclose your User Information to our affiliates and third-party service providers. Except as otherwise set forth in this section, we will only share your User Information with any such parties in connection with the administration of the Service or for the purpose of improving your experience with the Service. Third party service providers are not authorized by us to use or disclose your User Information except as necessary to perform services on our behalf or comply with legal requirements. If you have shared your Facebook Information with us, we will only disclose it to the extent permitted by Facebook.
- With Participating Organizations: We may share your Login Information with Participating Organizations in order to allow them to confirm your credentials. We also may provide them with your Mobile Information (including precise geolocation) for their own purposes.
- With Your Consent: We may share your User Information with other third parties with your consent.
- As Required by Law: We may disclose any User Information we deem necessary, in our sole discretion, to comply with any applicable law, regulation, legal process or governmental request.
- To Prevent Harm or Loss: We may disclose User Information when we believe, in our sole discretion, disclosure is necessary or appropriate to prevent physical harm or financial loss or in connection with suspected or actual illegal activity.
We will not provide personally identifiable User Information to third parties for their use in marketing their products or services to you, but we do not control and are not responsible for Facebook’s own use of content and information it collects in relation to this Service.
How We Protect Your User Information
We maintain administrative, technical and physical safeguards designed to protect the User Information that we collect about you against accidental, unlawful or unauthorized destruction, loss, alteration, access, disclosure or use. While we cannot guarantee that no accidental, unlawful or unauthorized destruction, loss, alteration, access, disclosure or use of your information will occur, we will try to prevent such occurrences.
Transfers of User Information to Other Countries
The Company uses databases located in different jurisdictions. We may transfer User Information we collect about you to our databases outside your country of residence. Even if the laws in the country to which the information is transferred do not require us to provide adequate protection for your data, we will nevertheless seek to ensure that information transferred to such country is adequately protected.
Your Privacy Rights and Choices
To stop the Service from using your User Information at any time, take the following steps:
- If you have connected your Usher account to your Facebook account, deselect the option in your Usher account settings to connect your Usher account with Facebook.
- Uninstall the Application from all of your devices.
If you have connected your Usher account to your Facebook account and only want to stop the Service from using your Facebook Information, follow these steps instead:
- Deselect the option in your Usher account settings to connect your Usher account with Facebook. Alternatively, you can delete your entire Facebook account.
- To continue to use the Service, you will then need to provide the Application with Usher Account Information, if you have not done so already.
Following your de-installation of the Application, de-selection of the option to connect your Usher account with Facebook or deletion of your Facebook account, certain of your information may still be preserved in a non-personally identifiable form as part of aggregate historical data reports used by the Company.
Subject to applicable law, we provide you with access to the User Information we have retained about you and the ability to review, correct, update, block or delete the information where it is inaccurate. Subject to applicable law, we may limit or deny access to your User Information where providing such access is unreasonably burdensome or expensive under the circumstances. Please submit your request to the address specified in the "How to Contact Us" section below.
How to Contact Us